skip navigation

Stillwater scores in first minute of overtime to win 2A title

By DAVID LA VAQUE, Star Tribune, 11/02/18, 7:30PM CDT


A goal by Spencer Scott off a corner kick gave the Ponies a 2-1 victory over top-seeded Duluth East.

Stillwater midfielder Logan Huber (5) was mobbed by his teammates after he scored a goal in the first half. Photo: ANTHONY SOUFFLE • anthony.souffle@startribune.com

Stillwater soccer player Spencer Scott has the hang of this clutch performer thing.

Scott, a senior forward, scored the game-winning goal just 52 seconds into overtime as the Ponies edged No. 1 seed and previously undefeated Duluth East 2-1 for the Class 2A championship Friday at U.S. Bank Stadium.

“After it happened I just kind of ran around,” said Scott, who also scored the winning goal in the semifinals. “It felt right.”

No. 2 seed Stillwater (19-1-2) captured its second Class 2A state championship in three seasons, spoiling the Greyhounds’ bid to become the first non-metro Minnesota school to win a single-class or 2A soccer title.

Duluth East (19-1-2) saw an apparent early goal negated by an offside call. Instead, Stillwater went ahead 1-0 in the 13th minute on a Logan Huber header off Scott’s long throw-in.

Taking the lead wasn’t completely to Stillwater’s benefit. Huber said he felt it made his team too relaxed, too defensive.

First report

Stillwater captured its second Class 2A boys’ soccer state championship in three seasons with a 2-1 overtime victory against top-seed Duluth East on Friday at U.S. Bank Stadium.

Spencer Scott scored just 53 seconds into the extra session.

The Ponies led 1-0 in the first half when Logan Huber leaped and headed a long throw-in by Scott for a goal.

Huber and Scott played in the past two title games and provided the Ponies with one of five Mr. Soccer finalists in Huber and one player, Scott, likely overlooked for the shortlist.

But No. 2 seed Stillwater (19-1-2) couldn’t hold the lead.

Duluth East (19-1-2), the first non-Twin Cities area school to earn the No. 1 seed in the Class 2A boys’ field since seeding began in 2005, saw an apparent early goal waved off by an offside call.

The Greyhounds got the tying goal in the 69th minute. Sean Brueninghaus shook loose of his defender and sent a cross for Michael Reichhoff to head into the net.

Check back later for more on the game.

Soccer Hub Headlines