skip navigation

Mahtomedi girls return to state tournament on last-minute score against Hill-Murray

By Blaze Fugina, SportsEngine, 10/17/18, 11:45PM CDT


Sydney Panek scored the game-winner for the Zephyrs, who won the Class 1A, Section 4 champs.

Audrey Sexson (6) chases a ball knocked down by Zephyrs goalkeeper Megan Lisowy (99). Lisowy tallied 10 saves in a 3-2 win over Hill-Murray, sending Mahtomedi back to the state tournament. Photo by Cheryl Myers, SportsEngine

Junior midfielder Sydney Panek (4) and defender Sarah Luger (2) battle for possession at midfield. Panek scored the Zephyrs' winning goal with just 16 seconds remaining in regulation. Photo by Cheryl Myers, SportsEngine

First report

Sydney Panek and defending state champion Mahtomedi girls' soccer team needed one final push to return to the Class 1A state tournament.

Hill-Murray (13-4-1) had tied Thursday's Class 1A, Section 4 final 2-2 on a Caralyn Conners goal with less than four minutes remaining in regulation. With just seconds left and the game seemingly destined for overtime, the Zephyrs (12-5-1) moved the ball up the field before Panek snuck a shot behind the goalkeeper into the back of the net. With just 16 seconds left on the clock, the goal wrapped up a 3-2 section championship win for Mahtomedi.

A red card five minutes into the second half forced Hill-Murray to finish the game down one player. Audrey Sexson scored on a penalty kick to give the Zephyrs a 1-0 lead 16 minutes into the second half, and the offense opened up from there.

The Pioneers tied the game on a Mahtomedi own goal, which was credited to Anna Ayd.

From there, both teams added goals with Lauren Heinsch giving the Zephyrs a 2-1 lead. Conners' goal with less than four minutes left tied the game at 2-2.

Last season, Mahtomedi defeated Hill-Murray 6-0 in the section final en route to a Class 1A state championship. The Zephyrs won the state title 2-1 over Orono.

The MN Soccer Hub polls are for entertainment purposes only. 

Pioneer Anna Ayd (3) works the ball up the sideline. Ayd scored Hill-Murray's first goal midway through the second half in a 3-2 loss in the Class 1A, Section 4 final on Thursday night. Photo by Cheryl Myers, SportsEngine

Soccer Hub Headlines